Pages

Saturday 25 February 2012

Regular and reversed hands, thrusting and striking

What we did on Friday 24 February 2012

Pre-training discussion between Tony and Roger tying up loose ends from the previous session.  I subsequently thought the high back hand in / low palm out is already revealed, in principle at least and by virtue of the muscle memory involved, in our overarm sword hand technique; and the low palm in / high backhand out technique is a crane hand technique already covered in our basic training.  Because of this the regular hand technique need only be practised or shown as a high palm in low back hand out technique and the reversed hand technique need only be practised or shown as a low backhand in high palm out technique.  This is as it has been for many years and so the discussion served only to clarify why we do things this way and was useful if for this reason alone.  The discussion did clarify and emphasise already known things such as understanding what ‘natural’ movement is, the precise mechanical working of the skeletal and muscular components of the arm, why we have a ‘preference’ for double bone receptors, why we prefer soft receptors to destructive ones etc.

The following training session proper acted as a good spring clean for our current understanding of thrusting and striking techniques and hopefully provided plenty of food for thought.  A lot of evolution has occurred over the last couple of decades and it was good to recognise some of these things.  Sevenoaks Shinseido thrusts and strikes are extremely difficult to define because there are many subtleties that cannot be well expressed without face to face analysis.  Hopefully those who attended will have made notes and will remember what was said because it is not often we have the opportunity to go so far into a subject.  In essence my ever growing love for open hand techniques instead of closed fist techniques has culminated in an almost exclusively open handed system.  However, Shinseido would not be what it is without its continuum principle, so no matter how little used the closed fist may become, it is still a part of the whole and there to be used when circumstance demands it; this because of angles, distancing, available targets among many other things.

I think it was proved to all present just how powerful a loose, relaxed, focussed open hand technique can be.  After describing my mindset regarding kime and how I perceive my focal point in impulse thrusting to be related to the taper of my forearm to a focal point, I subsequently measured this and found the focal point to be 12 inches beyond the face of my closed fist.  Don’t take this literally in terms of what I actually think and do when thrusting for I don't have a clear idea, it is dependent upon a dozen different factors.   For me, it is not to try to drive a thrust through a target to a particular point; I am not trying to drive through the solar plexus to the spine, for example, in real mechanical terms because that would lead to what I perceive as a dull, ‘dead’ thud.  I have no doubts as to the effectiveness of such a technique; it is just not my way of doing things.  My way is to hit the target with what might be regarded as ‘minimal’ penetration of the hand before it recoils (actually loops) away into the next technique, but my mind, my focus extends beyond that point.  This is the impulse nature of my thrust, it is not intended to generate ‘maximum force’ (for the most part), simply sufficient to do the job.  It is a matter of how you perceive the moment of contact, the mindset you have, the visualisation you generate.  Descriptors such as “grabbing a butterfly” (relating to the developing hand formation during the last millisecond of a thrust), “punching a red button” (that detonates an explosion), “a bolt from a crossbow”, “a laser beam”, “flicking a tea towel” and the “crack of a bullwhip” all touch upon an aspect of this type of thrust.   The other noticeable thing is that I do not actually clench my fist tight at the point of impact for that would arrest the natural continuity and flow of movement into the next technique.  My modus operandi is to use a hand that can make use of the regular knuckles but also transmute instantaneously into a back wrist, palm, ox jaw, dragon head or other destructive ‘tool’ dependent upon my intuitive needs in the moment.  An important aspect of this is to have correct alignment of the bones of the hand, wrist and forearm along with a fleeting firmness of the musculature.  It is important to recognise that when I execute a thrust, in the moment I utilise the entirety of my body in terms of the alignment of the skeletal structure right up from the feet through to the hand.  I think of the individual bones of the ankle, legs, spine, shoulder, arm and hand as being sticks arranged in a line end to end.  I can push one end of the line of sticks and they will all shunt forwards in line, but if there is a kink in the line of sticks, the line will just collapse into disarray. We also explored the nature of the trajectory of my punches.  They are not ‘straight’, (straight is specific, any deviation from straight is probably ‘curved’ hence circular), mine are rather spiral in nature, particularly the low ones.  The middling to higher ones have a kind of rising and dropping quality as if driving over a hump backed bridge leading me to feel as if I were going to execute some kind of knuckle rap, but it isn’t and the force generated is unquestionably forwards and through the target.  The fist does not rotate fully into a palm down position but assumes a ‘natural’ 45 degree position.  Age old principles still hold good; the arm is never fully extended or straightened and the elbows always want to be down and in close proximity to the torso.  In Shinseido we carry out our hand techniques from a defensive kamae position in front of the torso.  There is no pull back (hikite) as a preparation for the thrust which is of a jab (kizami tsuki) or cross/reverse (gyaku tsuki) nature; this either over or under the passive cover hand dependent upon the nature of the attack coming in.  Over if I am covering or bridging downwards with the cover hand or under if I am covering or bridging upwards with the cover hand.

Incidentally, the maybe ‘unorthodox’ manner of spiralling my punches allows me to intercept incoming attacks at the same time as I drive the counter thrust through with the same hand/arm what I call kaeshi waza (reversal, return, return gift, return favour) as in to counter an attack with an attack or tit for tat.  I am mindful that everything I say has an exception and is not locked in concrete.  This is a ‘problem’ with what I do, there is no such thing as a fixed point which makes it incredibly difficult to describe a process without being somewhat misunderstood, but that’s always been the problem with words and with me.  I have often wished that people could see into the depths of my mind, then quickly retract that wish J

During the training we explored the dynamics of thrusting, inward, outward, oblique descending, rising and descending strikes, forearms and elbows along with their comparative power values using the body, pads and breaking board.  I am not a breaking board man and in my world having an ability to break a board or put a man down are two significantly different things, however that is not to say there is no merit in board breaking once in a blue moon; and for the record the average blue moon is every two and a half years.  I should also mention my take upon the makiwara (straw post) here – it is a tool for checking out thrusts and strikes and doesn’t need to constitute a regular practise, again it’s a once in a blue moon game.

We finished our session working a little open hand exercise comprising jab, cross, hook, uppercut, ovearm hook, shovel thrust, elbow, knee and testicle slap grab 'n' jerk.  This exercise can also be performed with closed fists for the most part or a mix of both open and closed hands. 

All in all and by way of a change, a session devoted to destroying the enemy with no peaceful connotations at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment