Pages

Sunday 26 August 2012

What we did...


What we did on Sunday 26 August 2012

Group 1:  Walking, getting up off floor, step adjustment for balance, squats.

Group 2:  Practise of all regular and core kata.  Identifying all returning loops in the basic kata.  A returning loop is a hand technique that goes first the one way and then by way of a looping action goes the opposite way; an S shaped movement.  For example:  a) I receive a right high punch by bridging outwards with my right back hand on the outside and simultaneously roll the hand over to grip the wrist and draw the attacker in.  b) I receive a right high punch by bridging outwards with my right back hand and then roll the hand over and come back in on the back his neck to control the attacker's head downwards.  c)   receive a right high punch by bridging outwards with my right back hand, he fires off a second punch off the left arm and I switch direction picking up the punch and 'crossing' him up, shutting his right arm down with his left... There are many other examples including those in which a change of direction of the hand goes through a returning loop for the sake of functionality.  Curiously our kata show very few overt returning loops, curious because I use them far more than our kata would suggest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment